BEING WISE

This what the Lord says: Let not the wise man boast of
his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises, kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight, declares the Lord. Jeremiah 9:23-24 NIV

I've seen the wise who take glory in their knowledge do stupid things. I've seen the strong made weak at the entrance of their personal passion. I've seen the wealthy lose their money so quickly that it appeared to have wings. Solomon called all of it vanity and vexation of spirit.

It was not until I found myself standing on the balcony of a high-rise apartment building, about to jump off, that I became acquainted with the true value of life.

I used to think poverty was a curse, so I set out to be as rich as I could be. Poverty was not the curse in my life; a lack of peace was the curse. I believed that exchanging an outhouse for a marble bathroom, a ghetto dwelling for a penthouse apartment with a river view, was the way to peace. I had money, men, furs, diamonds, luxury, trasportation, a son in the most prestigious public school...-yet I found no inward peace.

I set out to find wisdom. Unfortunately, though, I didn't understand that wisdom is about whom you know, not how much you know. Therefore, with all my seeking, I was still left feeling empty.

The devil took advantage of my ignorance and told me that since nothing was going to make me happy, I should just end it all.

But the God of all comfort intervened: He sent an angel on assignment to ring the doorbell as I was about to take the plunge. The little distraction saved my life. I made a vow to God that I'd never get to that state again, and I didn't.

Father, the only wise God, I thank You for introducing me to the true values of life. I was so busy collecting and accomplishing things that I didn't realize all of it was subject to change. Without understanding of who You are and what You provide, I can have no peace. Today I can boast about You in my life because I know that Your plan for humankind is already done according to Your schedule. July 2nd 2004, pg46. by Pastor Sarah Utterbach/ Redeeming Love Chrisitian Center.

God is Love 1John4:16

Popular posts from this blog

Oración: El Espíritu Santo--Holy Spirit Come!

Keep Your Lamp Burning

Here Are Things God Hates From You